Potato has a magical flavour it is mild, nothing distinctive about it, yet everybody loves it! The Hash Brown capitalises on the popularity of potatoes. Using minimal ingredients, the Hash Brown is made by shallow-frying discs of parboiled, grated potatoes seasoned with pepper. The Hash Brown is easy to make but has a wonderful flavour and texture, which is soft inside but crisp outside. It is an all-time favourite with kids, and tastes great with tomato ketchup. When making this recipe make sure the potatoes are just parboiled and not overcooked. Otherwise when you grate them you will end up with mashed potatoes rather than grated ones.
|Par boiled potato||4 Medium|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste (kalimirch)|
|Oil||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , shallow frying|
|Tomato ketchup||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (for serving)|
1. Thickly grate the parboiled potatoes directly in a deep bowl.
2. Add the salt and pepper and mix very gently using a fork.
3. Shape each portion into a 125 mm. (5”) diameter oval shape. You will get 6 portions.
4. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, put 3 portions on it and cook on a slow flame till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
5. Repeat step 4 to cook 3 more hash browns.
6. Serve immediately with tomato ketchup.