Vegetarian Zucchini Casserole
|Zucchini||10 Ounce (2 Zucchini, 5 Ounces Each)|
|Canned beans||3 Ounce, drained|
|Canned red kidney beans||3 Ounce, drained|
|Rice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cooked|
|Cooked enriched rice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 Tablespoon, finley diced|
|Diced carrot||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped scallions||1 Tablespoon (Green Portion Only)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Oregano leaves||1 Dash|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1 Ounce, shredded|
|Shredded sharp cheddar cheese||1 Ounce|
|Plain breadcrumbs||1 Tablespoon, dried|
|Reduced calorie margarine||2 Teaspoon|
|Plain dry breadcrumbs||1 Tablespoon (Plus 11/2 Teaspoon)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Boil just enough water to cover the zucchini in a deep 9-inch skillet.
3) Add the zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from the water and allow the zucchini to cool.
4) Half the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the pulp.
5) Reserve the shells for future use, Put them on paper towels to drain, keeping the cut-side down.
6) Put the pulp in a sieve and, with the back of a spoon, press to remove the moisture.
7) Mince the pulp.
8) In a bowl, combine the pulp with rice, vegetables, beans and seasonings.
9) With about 1/4th of the bean mixture, stuff each reserved zucchini shell.
10) In a shallow 1-quart casserole, place the stuffed shells and sprinkle with the cheese. Set aside.
11) Melt the margarine in a small skillet and add the breadcrumbs. Cook, constantly stirring, till the crumbs have absorbed the margarine and have turned brown. This usually takes about 3 minutes.
12) With about 1/4th of the crumb mixture, sprinkle each stuffed zucchini.
13) Bake in preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
14) Serve hot after garnishing with parsley.