Oven-Fried Zucchini Sticks
|Canola oil/Olive oil / cooking spray||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Zucchini||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Whole egg/2 egg whites||1|
1. Preheat over to 475ºF.
2. Wipe a large baking sheet with a washcloth dipped in oil, or coat it with cooking spray
3. Measure flours, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into a zip-top bag or a reusable plastic container with a lid. If you desire, you can add other flavorings to the coating, such as paprika, dried herbs or a dash of cayenne pepper.
5. Slice the zucchini in half, lengthwise.
6. Place the flat side on your cutting surface and cut ½” slices down the length of each zucchini. If they’re too long, cut the slices in half so they resemble French fries
7. Crack the egg over a small bowl, and beat it lightly.
8. Dip each piece of zucchini in the egg, holding the pieces over the bowl to let the excess drip off.
9. Put the zucchini sticks into the bag or container of coating mixture and seal it closed. Shake the container to coat the sticks in the mixture.
10. Place a cooling rack over each baking sheet. Arrange the pieces of zucchini in a single layer on he cooling rack so that the hot air can circulate all around the sticks as they bake.
11. Spray the zucchini sticks with cooking spray or brush each piece with oil.
12. Bake on the center rack for 7 minutes.
13. Using tongs, turn the zucchini pieces over and oil the other side. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 5-7 minutes more.
14. Sprinkle with salt right after they come out of the oven. Serve hot.