It is wonderful to know exactly which ingredients are going into your yogurt and to be able to determine consistency, flavouring, and sweetness your yogurt will have to suit you own needs and tastes. It's easy to make and very economical. Once prepared you can use your homemade yogurt in different recipes and dress it up with fruit, jam, honey, syrup, granola, or just scoop it right into your mouth! Give it a try sometime and you will be pleasantly surprised!(Oh, and my kids love it too!)
Skimmed milk powder
4 1⁄4 Cup (68 tbs)
1. In a bowl with 1/2 cup of milk, dissolve the milk powder completely.
2. Once done, pour into another bowl with 3 3/4 cup of milk. Stir well.
3. In a sauce pan on medium heat, pour the above mixture, add sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling at 185 degrees F, hold that temperature for about 5 minutes using a candy thermometer.
4. After 5 minutes, take the saucepan off the heat and lower the milk temperature to 112 degrees F. Once it is at 112 degrees, add vanilla extract and mix well.
5. Pour about 1/2 cup of the above milk mixture into a bowl and add yogurt. Mix until well combined and pour it back into the milk container.
6. In a yogurt maker, pour the milk-yogurt mixture evenly. Cover and incubate the yogurt for 5 - 10 hours or until thick. Once done, remove the yogurt from the maker and refrigerate it for 12 hours or overnight until firm.
7. Serve this yogurt with strawberry jam, maple syrup or fresh cut fruits.