Candied Yams Recipe- Good Ol' Down Home Cookin'
|Yam||8 Pound, peeled, washed, & cut into 1 inch to 1½ inch cubes (Jumbo)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), melted|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (lightly packed)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Pure vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Roasted pecans||To Taste, chopped (optional)|
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees.
2. Place the cut yams into a large baking dish or roasting pan.
3. Pour in the butter, sugar, brown sugar, salt, honey, orange zest, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Stir the yams to coat.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Use a fork to poke one of the yam cubes. The fork should have some resistance going in.
5. Remove the foil, spoon out about ½ cup of the syrup from the yams and pour it into a bowl with the flour. Whisk it vigorously until smooth. Pour the flour mixture over the yams and gently stir to combine.
6. Continue to bake the yams uncovered for about an hour or so, or until syrup is thickened and the yams are very tender.
(Note: Depending on the cut and size of the yams the cooking time can vary.)
7. Once done, top with pecans (optional) and serve. Enjoy.
Calories 2109 Calories from Fat 419
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g73.6%
Saturated Fat 29.6 g148%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 121 mg40.3%
Sodium 576.1 mg24%
Total Carbohydrates 416 g138.8%
Dietary Fiber 39.5 g158.1%
Sugars 158.2 g
Protein 16 g31.1%
Vitamin A 53.7% Vitamin C 267.5%
Calcium 20.5% Iron 31.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet