Salmon Steaks Poached in White Wine
|Salmon steaks||13 1⁄2 Ounce (6 Steaks, 2 1/4 Pound Each)|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Shallots||2 , finely chopped|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaves||2 , quartered|
|Sauterne/Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (American)|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. To prepare salmon steaks wash them and dry on paper towels.
3. In medium baking dish spread 2 tablespoons butter, place fish, sprinkle with salt, shallot, lemon juice and bay leaves and add Sauterne.
4. Cover dish with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
5. With liquid in the dish baste steaks and bake, covered for 15 minutes longer just until fish flakes easily with fork.
6. Carefully remove fish from baking dish and drain well.
7. Strain liquid to measure 1 cup, adding more Sauterne, if necessary.
8. Arrange steaks on heatproof serving platter or return to baking dish to keep warm.
9. In small saucepan melt remaining butter and remove from heat.
10. Stir in flour until smooth, gradually stir in reserved fish liquid and cook over medium heat, stirring, until thick.
11. Stir in cream and pour sauce over salmon steaks and run under broiler 3 to 5 minutes or till golden-brown.
12. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.