Cinnamon-Flavored Pears In Red Wine
|Red wine||1⁄2 Pint|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Conference pears||6 (Even-Sized)|
|Cornflour||2 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
1) Peel the pears leaving them whole.
2) In a large saucepan, measure the wine and water.
3) Less wine and more water may be used, but the wine gives a delicious flavour and a good colour.
4) Add the sugar, cinnamon stick and 2-3 pieces of thinly pared lemon rind, place over low heat and stir until dissolved.
5) Add the pears to the wine in the saucepan and arrange them as far as possible on their sides, so that they are almost submerged in the liquid.
6) Bring the liquid up to simmering point, then cover with a lid and simmer for about 10-20 minutes or until the pears are tender.
7) Remove pan from heat, lift out the pears and arrange in a glass serving dish.
8) Blend the cornflour with a little liquid taken from the pan, then stir into the liquid remaining in the pan.
9) Again place the pan over moderate heat and stir until the syrup has thickened, is boiling and has become clear.
10) Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
11) Cool for a few moments, then strain the sauce over the pears.
12) Cool, then chill for several hours.
13) Serve the pears with the red wine sauce and a little fresh cream.
Calories 251 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.01 g0.01%
Saturated Fat 0 g0.01%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0.37 mg0.02%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.8%
Sugars 28.4 g
Protein 0.06 g0.11%
Vitamin A 0.02% Vitamin C 1.8%
Calcium 0.3% Iron 0.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet