Casserole of Kidneys In Red Wine
|Chipolata sausage||1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Stock||3⁄4 Pint (41/2 Deciliter)|
|Red wine||1⁄4 Pint (1/2 Deciliter)|
|Tomato puree||2 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Tin, 65 Grams)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams)|
|Frozen peas packet||1⁄2|
1. Wash the kidneys well.
2. Trim fat and skin, then remove the core from each kidney using a sharp knife or pair of kitchen scissors.
3. Remove sinuous and halve.
4. Separate sausage links.
5. Peel and thinly slice onions.
6. Preheat the oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C or Gas No. 4)
7. In a large casserole, melt butter over moderate flame.
8. When hot, add onions and sautÃ© until golden.
9. Add the kidneys and sausages and sautÃ© them for about 5 minutes until they loose their pinkish color.
10. Use a slotted spoon to remove content to a platter and keep hot.
11. To the hot fat in the casserole add flour and stir, cooking until golden.
12. Gradually add the hot stock, stirring until you get a smooth sauce.
13. Stir in the tomato puree and wine.
14. Reduce heat and allow the sauce to cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly.
15. If lumpy, strain the sauce.
16. Return the onion-kidney-sausage mixture to the sauce in the casserole.
17. Cover with a lid and transfer to middle level of preheated oven
18. Cook for 1 1/2 hours until juices run clear when kidneys are pierced with a knife.
19. 15 minutes before kidneys are cooked, add the sliced mushrooms and peas to the stew and continue to cook.
20. Serve with rice.