Apple Wine Braised Goose
|Goose||8 Pound, thawed, if frozen (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Cooking apples||2 Pound, cored, cut into 2 inch chunks (6 Medium Pieces)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled|
|Carrot||1 Large, pared, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Stalk celery||1 Large, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Quick brown sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry apple wine/Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apple jelly||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugared lady apples||2|
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove giblets and neck from goose; rinse under cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Freeze liver to use for pate or other recipes; use neck and rest of giblets to make broth in Pumpkin Bisque, if desired. Remove fat from neck and body cavities; render and use for other recipes, if desired. Rinse goose under cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Season goose inside and out with salt and pepper.
2. Loosely pack cavities with apple chunks; bring skin of neck over back, and fasten with poultry pins. Close body cavity with poultry pins, and lace with string. Bend wing tips under body; tie ends of legs together.
3. Place goose, breast side up, on rack in large roasting pan. Place garlic, carrot, celery and onion in pan around goose. Roast, uncovered, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until browned. Meanwhile, prepare Quick Brown Sauce.
4. Remove goose from oven; lift goose onto large sheet of heavy-duty foil; remove rack; pour fat from roasting pan, leaving vegetables. Add brown sauce, 1 cup wine and 1/4 cup apple jelly to pan. Return goose to pan, placing it on top of vegetables. Cover pan tightly with heavy-duty foil. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; roast goose, covered, 45 minutes longer, or until instant-reading meat thermometer inserted in meaty part of leg registers 185°F (Thigh juices should run clear when thigh is pierced with a fork.)
5. Transfer goose to warm serving platter; remove pins and string; garnish goose with sugared lady apples, parsley and Steamed Acorn Squash With Cranberries, if desired. Strain pan juices, discarding vegetables. Remove and discard fat from juices. Pass juices with goose.