Red Wine Braised Chuck Roast
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef chuck roast||3 Pound, tied (1 Roast)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Such As Barbera)|
|Beef broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, halved and stuck with 2 whole cloves|
|Whole cloves||2 , stucked with onion|
|Garlic cloves||6 Large|
|Carrots||4 Large, halved crosswise|
|Fennel bulbs||2 Medium, quartered|
1. Preheat the oven to 325° In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Season the roast with salt and black pepper and sear on all sides over moderately high heat, 15 minutes; transfer the meat to a roasting pan.
2. Carefully add the red wine to the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for about 3 minutes, scraping up the browned bits. Add the wine, broth and water to the roasting pan and bring to a boil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, fennel and bay leaf. Cover and braise in the oven until the fennel is tender, about 1 hour; transfer the fennel to a baking dish and cover.
3. Return the roast to the oven; cook until the roast is tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 180°, about 1 hour longer.
4. Discard the onion and bay leaf. Transfer the roast and carrots to the baking dish with the fennel. Cover and keep warm in the oven. Strain the cooking liquid into a saucepan, pressing to mash the garlic. Boil until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer the roast to a carving board and remove the strings. Cut into 4 thick slices and transfer to plates with the carrots and fennel. Pass the sauce at the table.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3448 Calories from Fat 1588
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 177 g272.5%
Saturated Fat 35.1 g175.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1200 mg400%
Sodium 2928.1 mg122%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.3%
Dietary Fiber 27.3 g109%
Sugars 25.2 g
Protein 396 g791.9%
Vitamin A 976.2% Vitamin C 160.2%
Calcium 47.2% Iron 40.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet