Peanut Butter Wheat Cracker
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), unsifted|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), unsifted|
|Wheat germ||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chunky peanut butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Skippy Super Chunk Brand)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Coarse salt||To Taste (To Sprinkle)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degree F
2. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
3. Spoon the peanut butter into to the flour mixture.
4. Cut in or rub in the peanut butter using a pastry blender or your fingertips, until the mixture resembles crumbs and all the butter has been incorporated into the flour.
5. Combine the water and vinegar.
6. Add liquid to the bowl and stir quickly and lightly, with a palette knife, just until the mixture binds to form a ball of dough.
7. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
8. Knead the dough lightly with your fingertips 4 to 5 times.
9. Roll lightly with a rolling pin, into a large circle of 1/8 inch thickness.
10. Use a 21/2-inch round cookie cutter (plain or fluted) to cut the dough into biscuits.
11. Arrange the dough circles on baking sheets.
12. With a pastry brush, give the biscuits milk wash and sprinkle with coarse salt if you like.
13. Bake the biscuits for about 10 to 12 minutes or just until pale and dry.
14. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and loosen the biscuits with a spatula of pastry knife.
15. Slide them onto a wire rack and let them cool and harden.
16. Store the biscuits in a wax paper lined airtight container.
17. Enjoy them as an evening snack.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2559 Calories from Fat 1146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 137 g210.6%
Saturated Fat 22.3 g111.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.5 mg0.5%
Sodium 4227 mg176.1%
Total Carbohydrates 265 g88.4%
Dietary Fiber 46.5 g186.1%
Sugars 23.5 g
Protein 101 g202.8%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 2.6%
Calcium 26.2% Iron 104.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet