Southwestern White Bean, Bulgur and Vegetable Stew
|Dried great northern beans/Great northern beans - 1 1/2 cups canned, drained and rinsed||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), picked over, rinsed, and soaked overnight|
|Water||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs) (1 1/4 Cups Plus 2 Cups)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (To Taste Plus Additional)|
|Salt||To Taste (Additional Required)|
|Bulgur||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||5 Teaspoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, cored, seeded, and diced|
|Jalapenos||2 , seeded and finely chopped (If You Prefer Less Spicy Food, Use Only 1)|
|Zucchini||1 Medium, diced|
|Chili powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Firm tofu||12 Ounce, cut into small cubes|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Fresh ears of corn/1 cup frozen corn kernels||2 , kernels removed|
|Cilantro||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Plain nonfat yogurt||4 Tablespoon|
|Scallions||4 , trimmed and thinly sliced|
1. In a pot cover the beans with water bring to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer the beans until they are tender, approximately 45 minutes, drain the beans and set them aside.
2. In the empty pot bring the 1 1/4 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and then slowly add the bulgur.
3. Remove the pot from the heat, cover it tightly to allow the bulgur to steam for 20 minutes or until it is tender and set it aside.
4. In a large Dutch oven heat all of the olive oil over medium heat and sautÃ© the onion stirring it often, until it is soft.
5. Then saute the garlic in it, stirring it constantly, until it is fragrant.
6. Add the red bell pepper, jalapenos and a pinch of salt, cover the pot and steam-saute the ingredients, stirring them often, until they begin to soften.
7. Add and saute the zucchini, chili powder, cumin and coriander stirring them often, for 5 minutes.
8. Then add the tofu and stir well.
9. Raising the heat to high, pour in the remaining 2 cups of water, add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
10. Cover the pot, reduce the heat and simmer the vegetables, stirring them often, for 15 minutes.
11. Then add the cooked beans and bulgur and simmer the stew for 10 minutes.
12. Add the corn and cilantro and season the stew with the salt and pepper.
13. Among 4 individual plates divide the stew and garnish each portion with 1 tablespoon of the yogurt and one-quarter of the scallions.
Calories 374 Calories from Fat 76
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.5%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 353.3 mg14.7%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.2%
Dietary Fiber 13.6 g54.6%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 19 g37.9%
Vitamin A 44.3% Vitamin C 93%
Calcium 23.1% Iron 28.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet