|Self raising flour/Half white and half wholewheat||8 Ounce (225 Gram, White Flour)|
|Caster sugar||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Lard||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Mixed currants and raisins||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Sour milk/Fresh milk 'soured' with juice of half a lemon||6 Fluid Ounce (175 Milliliter)|
1. Grease a baking sheet with oil or butter
2. Preheat the oven to 425° F, 220° C
3. Into a large basin, sift flours with salt.
4. Cut fat into small cubes and add to the flour, using your finger tips, rub it into the flour until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
5. Using a wooden spoon, mix in sugar and dried fruit.
6. Using a spatula or a fork, mix in the sour milk until well incorporated with the dry ingredients. If the dough is too stiff, add another tablespoon of sour milk to adjust the consistency to make a soft dough.
7. Turn the dough on to a flour dusted work surface. Using a dusted rolling pin, roll the dough into a large circle of 1/4 inch thickness. Use any round lid or cutter to cut out circles of 2 inches.
8. Place the rounds on the greased baking sheet, keeping a 2 inch space between each.
9. Using a pastry brush, glaze the top of each round with sour milk.
10.Place the baking sheet on the top level of the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the heavies have puffed and are golden brown.
11. Remove tray from the oven and transfer the heavies onto a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
12.Serve scorns warm, with preserve or honey.
13. You can store the scones in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 152
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26%
Saturated Fat 7 g35.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13.5 mg4.5%
Sodium 830 mg34.6%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.2%
Sugars 21.1 g
Protein 10 g19.3%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0.99%
Calcium 32.7% Iron 16.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet