Making seitan is quick and easy! Don't waste you money at the store, when you can make your own for next to nothing!
Wheat gluten flour
2 Cup (32 tbs)
5 Cup (80 tbs), divided
1. In a large bowl put the wheat gluten flour. Pour water to cover the flour.
2. Using clean hands mix the flour by running the fingers in it to form a batter like mixture. After a few minutes the water will begin to separate from the protein.
3. Take a portion in the hand and squeeze out the water and form large patties.
4. In a pot bring around 3 cups of water to boil. Put the seitan into it and reduce the heat. Cover and continue to cook for around 45 minutes or until it is fully cooked.
5. Transfer the seitan into a strainer or colander and allow to cool. Once cooled squeeze it to remove the water completely.
6. Use the seitan like chicken to make cutlets, or vegan chicken breasts or as a steak.
Uncooked seitan can be used to make vegan chicken soup by putting the crumbled seitan into the boiling soup so that it gets cooked along with the vegetables.
Cooked Seitan can also be frozen to be used later.
If you thought Seitan is a tricky recipe to make, you have got to watch this video. The recipe of Vegan Seitan uses one of the easiest ways to cook and comes up with a tasty dish as well. You can add your own flavor to this dish.