Pickled Watermelon Rind
|White part of the watermelon rind||3 Pound, cubed|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole cloves||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole allspice||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon||1 , sliced|
1. In a salt-resistant pot or pan prepare a brine of 2 tablespoons salt with 1 quart of water.
2. Cover the melon rind in brine, let it stand overnight and drain.
3. Into the pot add fresh water, cook the rind with cover for about 10 minutes such that tender and drain.
4. In a large pot, combine sugar, vinegar and 1 cup of cold water and heat until sugar dissolves.
5. In a cheesecloth bag tie allspice, cloves, cinnamon and lemon and add to the vinegar mixture.
6. Add the watermelon rind and cook until transparent for about 45 minutes.
7. Transfer into sterilized jars and seal.
8. Serve or use as desired.