Ruby Watermelon Relish
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Limes||2 , thinly sliced|
|Lime juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||2 (One Inch Stick)|
1. Slice the watermelon. Cut meat from the rind, then cut meat into chunks. Save rind for Spiced Watermelon Rind
2. Place about 1 cup chunks at a time in a square of double-thickness cheesecloth. Squeeze to remove liquid. Remove seeds; measure pulp. (You should have about 14 cups.) Place in large kettle.
3. Stir in sugar and vinegar. Bring to boiling; lower heat. Simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes.
4. While pulp is simmering, bring limes to a boil in 2 changes of water (to remove bitterness). Drain.
5. Add sliced limes, lime juice, cloves and cinnamon. Cook, stirring often, 30 minutes longer, or until relish is thick.
6. Ladle into 8 hot, sterilized, half-pints to within 1/4 inch of rim. Seal, as manufacturer directs; process in hotwater bath for 20 minutes. Label; date; store in a cool, dry place.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5943 Calories from Fat 115
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.1%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 121.6 mg5.1%
Total Carbohydrates 1499 g499.8%
Dietary Fiber 40.2 g161%
Sugars 1361.4 g
Protein 56 g111.8%
Vitamin A 1025.6% Vitamin C 1278.8%
Calcium 74.2% Iron 130.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet