Pickled Watermelon Rind
|Watermelon rind||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whole cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1 , sliced very thin|
1. Pare watermelon rind and cut into small piece €” about 1" squares. Leave a little pink on each piece for colour.
2. Soak overnight in a brine made of 1/4 c. salt to each quart of water.
3. Drain, wash in fresh water, drain.
4. Boil rind in clear water until tender.
5. Mix all remaining ingredients together and boil for 5 minutes.
6. Add rind to the boiling syrup, and boil rapidly until rind is clear.
7. Pack into hot sterile jars, cover with syrup, and seal.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3805 Calories from Fat 6
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.67 g1%
Saturated Fat 0.16 g0.82%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1239.4 mg51.6%
Total Carbohydrates 932 g310.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.8%
Sugars 765.6 g
Protein 1 g2.6%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 78.9%
Calcium 14.4% Iron 7.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet