Pickled Watermelon Rind
|Watermelon rind||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whole cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1 , sliced very thin|
1. Pare watermelon rind and cut into small piece €” about 1" squares. Leave a little pink on each piece for colour.
2. Soak overnight in a brine made of 1/4 c. salt to each quart of water.
3. Drain, wash in fresh water, drain.
4. Boil rind in clear water until tender.
5. Mix all remaining ingredients together and boil for 5 minutes.
6. Add rind to the boiling syrup, and boil rapidly until rind is clear.
7. Pack into hot sterile jars, cover with syrup, and seal.