|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||16 Ounce (packed)|
|Light cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
• Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on the bottom of the foil-lined pan; set pan aside.
• In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the 1 cup butter over low heat. Add the brown sugar, light cream, and corn syrup; mix well. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take 6 to 8 minutes. Avoid splashing the mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to sides of pan.
• Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, till candy thermometer registers 248°, firm-ball stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 45 to 55 minutes.
• Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Immediately stir in vanilla Quickly pour the caramel mixture over the nuts in the prepared pan.
• When caramel is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap.