Pancakes And Waffles
|Freshly squeezed orange juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Unbleached white flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For medallion-sized blueberry pancakes|
|Blueberries||1 Pint, washed|
|For fresh fruit compote for plain pancakes|
|Strawberries||1 Pint, washed, hulled, and sliced in half|
|Pure maple syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For waffle topping|
|Banana||1⁄2 , sliced|
|Walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pure maple syrup||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a dry mixing bowl crack the eggs to drop the white. Reserve the yolks into a separate bowl.
2) With a mixer beat the whites on high speed. Alternately, hip with a balloon whisk for about 2 minutes until firm. Do not overmix.
3) Add egg yolks with a fork.
4) Mix orange juice and vanilla. Whisk until foamy.
5) Gently add the milk.
6) In a separate bowl add the dry ingredients and blend well with a wooden spoon.
7) Gently add and stir dry ingredients into the egg-yolk mixture. Mix until dry ingredients are wet. Even out the clumps of flour.
8) Mix the egg whites stirring once or twice.
9) To prepare the fruit compote, in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together until fruits are coated with syrup.
10) To make medallion-sized blueberry pancakes, grease the bottom of a flat griddle or large frying pan with 1/4 teaspoon butter or grapeseed oil.
11) Place over medium heat for about 1 minute.
12) Gently drop 2 tablespoons of batter on the hot grill at some distance from each other.
13) Place about 5 blueberries on top of each pancake. The berries should insert into the batter.
14) As the bubble surfaces after 2 minutes, flip the pancakes over.
15) Cook the other side for 3 minutes.
16) Place the pancakes on hot platter.
17) Stack one above the other to keep warm.
18) Repeat the process to make pancakes until all batter is used up. Makes 30 medallion-sized pancakes.
19) To make regular-sized plain pancakes grease the base of a flat griddle with 1/4 teaspoon butter.
20) Put over medium heat.
21) Put 3 tablespoons of batter on the griddle and cook until bubbles starts forming.
22) Turn to another side and cook for 2 minutes.
23) Place the pancakes on hot platter.
24) Stack one above the other to keep warm. Do not use more butter.
25) Repeat the process to make pancakes until all batter is used up.
26) Top 3 pancakes with 3 tablespoons of the fruit compote.
27) To prepare the waffles, preheat waffle iron until it is ready.
28) Pour the required batter around 1/2 cup evenly over the iron to fill it.
29) Cook until the edges are golden brown.
30) Place on a warm plate and put banana, chopped walnuts, and maple syrup over it.
31) Serve immediately.