Creamed Cod On Waffles
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Flour||2 1⁄3 Cup (37.33 tbs)|
|Milk||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Florida grapefruit juice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cooked cod||2 Cup (32 tbs), flaked|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
1) Take a saucepan and melt butter in it over low heat.
2) Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes.
3) Gradually add 1/3 cup flour. Stir until smooth.
4) Gradually stir in 2 cups of milk.
5) Add chervil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook until cod is thoroughly heated.
6) Remove from heat and add cream. Keep mixture warm.
7) Take a bowl and sift in it remaining flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
8) Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff.
9) Take another bowl and beat egg yolks in it. Add remaining shortening and milk.
10) Stir in the flour mixture. Beat using a rotary beater until smooth.
11) Fold in the egg whites.
12) Pour 1/2 cup of prepared batter in hot waffle iron for each waffle.
13) Bake until golden brown.
14) Serve with creamed cod. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
Calories 539 Calories from Fat 289
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.3%
Saturated Fat 14.6 g72.9%
Trans Fat 1.7 g
Cholesterol 156.5 mg52.2%
Sodium 560.2 mg23.3%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.8%
Sugars 12.1 g
Protein 21 g41.8%
Vitamin A 13.4% Vitamin C 17.2%
Calcium 30.3% Iron 14.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet