Baked Onions With Balsamic Vinaigrette
|Vidalia onions||6 Medium, peeled|
|Olive oil||5 Tablespoon (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon)|
|Dijon mustard||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°.
2) Trim off the root and stem ends of the onions. With a sharp paring knife, score a deep cross-mark on top of each onion by cutting halfway down.
3) In a 6-by-6-inch square of aluminum foil, place each onion by keeping the cross-marked side upwards.
4) Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil on top of the onion and close the foil by bringing together and twisting tightly.
5) In a large baking sheet, place the wrapped onions by keeping the twisted foil on top.
6) Place the baking sheet inside oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until very tender when pierced.
7) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and blend thoroughly.
8) Gently unwrap the onions when done and place on a serving platter. Spread a scant tablespoon of vinaigrette over each onion and season with pepper to taste. Serve hot, by cutting into halves or as it is.