|Leeks||3 Medium, sliced|
|Potatoes||3 Medium, peeled and sliced|
|Jellied stock||1 1⁄2 Pint|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint (for finish)|
|Snipped chives||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for finish)|
1) In a saucepan, melt butter and sautÃ© leeks for 5 minutes or until golden browned.
2) Stir in the potatoes, celery, stock and seasoning to taste.
3) Allow the leek mixture to boil.
4) Place the lid on and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
5) Remove the pan from heat and let it cool slightly.
6) In an electric blender place the leek mixture and process to a smooth puree.
7) Cool the mixture, cover and refrigerate until chilled.
8) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Pour the cooled leek soup into a rigid container.
9) Seal, label and freeze the container.
10) Serve chilled garnished with chives and drizzle with cream.
11) If using the frozen soup, thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours, then stir thoroughly.
12) Serve as expliained in step 10.
Calories 406 Calories from Fat 205
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.2%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17 mg5.7%
Sodium 421.4 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22.1%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 9 g18.7%
Vitamin A 50.3% Vitamin C 71.1%
Calcium 10.8% Iron 22.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet