Carrot cake, also known as passion cake, is a gooey rich cake with grated carrots. Carrots become soft during cooking; hence the cake has soft texture. Carrots also enhance the appearance and flavor of the cake.
Carrot cake is thought to be originated from Gothenburg, Sweden. The availability of carrot cakes in restaurants and cafeterias was first witnessed in US in early 1960s. During medieval era when sugar was very scarce, carrot made a good substitute in cakes, puddings and sweetbreads.
Ingredients and Preparation
Carrot cake has grated carrots as one of the dominant ingredients others being soft wheat flour, eggs, sugar and fruits like pineapple. Carrot cake is an irresistible dessert treat. The method of carrot cake preparation is similar to quick bread. A lot of mouthwatering variations can be created with raisins, nuts, pineapple or shredded coconut. Luscious slices of carrot cake with cream cheese and chopped walnut icing are a rage. Carrot cakes may be layered also.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 Piece (69 g)
Approximate values per serving (Calories - 260 cal, Fat – 14 g, Carbohydrates – 32 g, Protein – 2 g, Saturated fat – 3 g, Cholesterol – 30 mg, Sodium – 280 mg, Dietary fiber – 1 g)
Nutritional Benefits of Carrot cake
1. It is Low in cholesterol
2. It is High in calcium, iron, manganese and magnesium
3. It is High in vitamin A
4. It is Very high in vitamin C and vitamin E
Health benefits of Carrot cake
1. A carrot itself makes the carrot cake a healthy dessert because it contains natural sugars more than any other vegetable except the sugar beet. Carrots also contain dietary fiber.
2. Raisins, walnuts and pineapples are rich in essential vitamins.
3. Vitamin A of carrot helps in improving night vision.
4. Vitamin C is helpful in the prevention and treatment of the common cold.
5. A carrot also enhances the quality of breast milk, improves skin appearance, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure.
6. Walnuts are also rich in antioxidants.
7. Raisins help in relieving from constipation, acidosis, anemia, fever, and sexual weakness.
8. Pineapples, which are used in the layered cake, are rich in manganese which is required to build bones and connective tissues that supports the growth of bones in young people and the strengthens bone in old people.
Disadvantage: Carrot cake is - i) High in Fat, and ii) High in Sodium
Who should avoid Carrot cake?
1. Fatty and obese
2. Diabetic people
3. Weight watchers
4. People suffering from hypertension
5. People with sedentary life style