Today's recipe, I'm making scalloped potatoes with pesto sauce au gratin, which means with cheese.
This is a delicious tasting side dish that goes with just about everything.
For the pesto sauce
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped finely
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), toast
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), grated
2 Clove (10 gm), chopped finely
Extra virgin olive oil
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)
3 Pound, slice (Yukon Gold Brand)
Sharp cheddar cheese
2 Cup (32 tbs), shredded
2 Tablespoon, chopped finely
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Boil water in a large stock pot, there should be enough water to cover the potatoes.
2. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F after the potatoes are kept to boil.
3. For the pesto sauce start by toasting the pine nuts in a small frying pan over medium high heat for 3 minute, once done remove from heat and let it cool.
4. Using a blender or food processor, blend pine nuts, 1 1/2 cups of basil leaves, salt, parmesan cheese, garlic and pepper to taste, continue adding stream of the olive oil.
5. Keep mixing until the pesto sauce is completely blended, transfer the sauce into a large bowl that will also accomodate the potatoes.
6. Slice the potatoes to 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick. Add the potatoes to the stock pot and boil 3 to 4 minutes. Just enough to get them slightly soft. Don't over cook.
7. Drain and add the potatoes to the bowl with the pesto sauce. Stir gently until the potatoes are coated with pesto sauce.
8. In a 9 x 13 baking dish arrange half of the potatoes and top with half of the cheese and 1/2 of the chopped fresh basil leaves. Then repeat the layer.
9. Finally pour the chicken broth over all, cover with aluminum foil (remember to put non stick side down) and bake for 30 minutes.
10. After 30 minutes remove foil and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes to brown.
11. Serve the Scalloped Potatoes With Pesto Sauce And Cheese along with some crusty bread.
This recipe is gluten free. Just be sure you read your ingredients.