Spicy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
|Sweet potatoes||3 Medium|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red bell pepper||3 Medium|
|Sweet onion||1⁄2 Medium, diced|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Hot sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic powder||To Taste|
1. Cut off the ends of sweet potatoes and discard (or stab all over with fork & wrap in wet paper towel if cooking in microwave).
2. Slice bell pepper in half, remove stem & seeds.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
5. Place them on baking sheet line with foil.
6. Spray with non-stick cooking spray (olive oil) and sprinkle with salt and pepper
7. Bake for 25 minutes, or until peppers begin to blacken.
8. After 25 minutes, remove the peppers from the oven and allow to cool. Continue baking the sweet potatoes for another 45 minutes.
9. Peel the skins off the peppers. Set aside.
10. In a skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, put the onions and sauté them (if not using oven, add diced bell peppers too).
11. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (optional - drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Sauté until lightly brown.
12. In a food processor or blender, put the peppers, sauteed onions, olive oil and puree them till smooth. Set aside.
13. Once baked, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and slice open in half to release the steam and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Remove the skin carefully.
14. In a medium mixing bowl, put the sweet potatoes, pepper/onion puree and cayenne pepper, hot sauce, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Mash until smooth.
15. In a serving bowl or plate serve immediately garnished with cayenne pepper, black pepper, cilantro or store in an airtight container until you are ready to heat up.
Calories 203 Calories from Fat 71
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.5%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 192.9 mg8%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.2%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 3 g6.2%
Vitamin A 394.3% Vitamin C 210.8%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 7.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet