To prepare the cucumbers
1. Wash cucumbers and cut them in half crosswise.
2. Make pockets out of cross slits, leaving about ½ inch on end and make then 4 slits taking care to not cut them all the way through.
3. Put them in a big bowl, sprinkle a half cup of salt onto the cucumber pieces, mix them carefully and wait for 30 minutes
4. In a big bowl, mix them with a spoon placing a quarter cup of fish sauce, a half cup of hot pepper flakes, 2 cloves of minced garlic and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
5. Chop Asian chives 1 inch (about 2 cm) in length (2 cups) and cut 3 green onions diagonally as the same size as the chives.
6. Shred some carrot (1/4 cup), slice the onion (1/4 cup) thinly and place all this into the mixture of the seasoning paste.
7. Mix it up with a spoon.
8. Wash the cucumbers and drain them.
9. Stuff the seasoning paste into the slotted cucumber and put each cucumber into an airtight container. You can wear rubber gloves while stuffing, if you want to protect your hands.
10. Serve right after making it or else keep the leftover kimchii in the refrigerator to serve after sometime.
Frustrated to see all the Korean meat recipes? Maangchi has a vegetarian side dish using radish. Just a few ingredients and a few stirs in the pan for a simple Korean dish. Definitely a must try for a light lunch.