|Potatoes||6 , scrubbed, unpeeled and diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 , thinly sliced|
|Green bell pepper||1 , thinly sliced|
|Onions||1 , finely chopped|
|Tomato sauce||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Dried chili pepper||1 Small|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a large skillet, olive oil is warmed.
2) Potatoes and bell peppers are sauteed for a few minutes (about 3 minutes), along with onions.
3) Tomato sauce, spices and herbs are added and stirred in well.
4) The contents are sauteed for a few more minutes (about 3 minutes), on low heat.
5) The vegetables are covered and cooked for about 30 minutes.
6) They are stirred at frequent intervals to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
(This dish, till this stage, can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated for later use).
7) When the Shashouka is ready to consumed, it is reheated on medium-low heat and eggs are broken onto the potato mixture.
8) The dish is simmered for about 3-4 minutes and the eggs set completely.
9) Cover and simmer about 3-4 minutes, or until eggs are set.
10) It is served hot, immediately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2201 Calories from Fat 860
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 97 g148.7%
Saturated Fat 20.5 g102.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1691.8 mg563.9%
Sodium 1641.5 mg68.4%
Total Carbohydrates 274 g91.3%
Dietary Fiber 40.5 g162.1%
Sugars 37.7 g
Protein 82 g164.3%
Vitamin A 181.6% Vitamin C 924.1%
Calcium 54% Iron 126.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet