|Potatoes||6 , scrubbed, unpeeled and diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 , thinly sliced|
|Green bell pepper||1 , thinly sliced|
|Onions||1 , finely chopped|
|Tomato sauce||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Dried chili pepper||1 Small|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a large skillet, olive oil is warmed.
2) Potatoes and bell peppers are sauteed for a few minutes (about 3 minutes), along with onions.
3) Tomato sauce, spices and herbs are added and stirred in well.
4) The contents are sauteed for a few more minutes (about 3 minutes), on low heat.
5) The vegetables are covered and cooked for about 30 minutes.
6) They are stirred at frequent intervals to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
(This dish, till this stage, can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated for later use).
7) When the Shashouka is ready to consumed, it is reheated on medium-low heat and eggs are broken onto the potato mixture.
8) The dish is simmered for about 3-4 minutes and the eggs set completely.
9) Cover and simmer about 3-4 minutes, or until eggs are set.
10) It is served hot, immediately.