Health and Fiber Rich Aubergine Bake
|Aubergines||1 1⁄4 Pound, destalked, 3/4 inch pieces|
|Onions||1 Pound, thick slices|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Chickpeas||15 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Ripe tomatoes||2 Pound|
1) Preheat the oven to 400F.
2) In a frying pan, heat half the amount of oil. Saute the aubergine slices till they brown well on both sides.
3) In a large, shallow ovenproof dish, arrange the aubergines.
4) Add more oil into the pan. Saute the onion slices till they soften. Add onto the aubergines.
5) Pour the leftover oil along with the cooking oil over the aubergines and onions.
6) In a bowl, mix salt, cayenne pepper, tomato paste, 3/4 pint water. Pour over the aubergine mixture.
7) Scatter the drained chickpeas on top. Cover with a foil.
8) Place the dish in the centre rack of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
9) Take the dish out of the oven and arrange deskinned and quartered tomatoes around the bake. Cover and bake for another 25 minutes.
10) Once baked, remove from oven and let cool completely.
11) Serve pita or French Bread on the side along with yoghurt salad on the side.