Crumb Topped Leeks
|Leeks||5 Pound (16 Medium Sized)|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped (Large Cloves)|
|Thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Half and half||2 Tablespoon|
|Swiss cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), freshly grated|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 1/2 Slices)|
|Parmesan cheese||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, freshly grated|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted|
1) Preheat the oven to moderate 350°F.
2) Lightly grease 2-quart baking dish.
3) Prepare the leeks by, cutting of green leaves and the root end.
4) Cut lengthwise to within 1 inch of root end.
6) In a bowl, soak the leeks in water and wash well under running water to remove the grit.
7) In a large pan, heat 1 cup of broth to boil over high heat.
8) Put the leeks and bring to boil.
9) Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
10) Pour of and reserve the cooking broth.
11) In a saucepan, heat the butter of margarine and saute garlic and thyme for1 minute, or until tender.
12) Add in the flour and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
13) Mix additional chicken broth with reserved cooking broth to make 1 cup.
13) Slowly stream the broth mixture into flour mixture along with the half-and-half.
14) Stir constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until smooth and thicken.
15) Take the pan away from the heat.
16) Add in the Swiss cheese and the 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
17) Pour half of the broth mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
18) Place the leeks over the sauce and top with the remaining sauce.
19) In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and melted butter or margarine.
20) Dredge the crumb mixture over the leeks.
21) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
22) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley.