Baked Sweet Potato and Beef Fillo Tarts
|Phyllo dough||1 Pound, thawed|
|Ground beef||1 1⁄2 Pound, seasoned (fried)|
|Sweet potato||3 Medium, sliced (sauteed)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped (sauteed)|
|Fresh spinach||2 Bunch (200 gm), chopped (sauteed)|
|Zucchini||2 Medium, sliced (sauteed)|
|Mozzarella cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), shredded|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Nutmeg||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Dill||3 Dash, dried|
|Egg||3 Medium, whisk|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), melted|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Saute the sliced sweet potatoes in frying pan with olive oil and salt to taste until golden brown around the edges and soft (15 minutes). Once browned, place sweet potatoes in a glass bowl and set aside for later to build the layers of the tart.
2) Saute the chopped onion with olive oil and salt in a frying pan.
3) Once onions are transparent, add the ground beef, all spice, 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, and black pepper. Mix until meat is brown (about 15 minutes). Once meat has browned, place it in a glass bowl and set aside.
4) In a frying pan, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium.
5) Once the oil is hot enough, add the fresh spinach. Saute with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes. Add some dry dill and continue to cook.
6) Cook the sliced zucchini in the same way. Saute until it is golden brown along the edges. Add a couple dashes of salt and black pepper. Saute for 10 minutes.
7) Roll out the thawed and room temperature fillo dough and line a heavily buttered 9-inch square or 14 x 14 inch rectangular baking dish. With your fingers, press firmly to secure the corners. Use kitchen scissors to cut off the excess dough hanging over from the sides.
8) Place the excess fillo dough evenly into the dish so as to give the preparation it more crunch. Prick the whole buttered fillo dough with a knife. Pour any left over melted butter into the dish but leave enough to brush all four edges of the fillo dough so they don’t burn.
9) To build the tart, place the first layer of the sweet potatoes. Lightly mash them and spread them into an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish. Repeat this process with the ground beef, sprinkling a little ground nutmeg over the beef. Then spread the sautéed spinach over the beef.
10) Whisk 3 eggs with a cup of heavy cream in a bowl. Pour the entire liquid over the tart. This will bind everything together.
11) Add the shredded mozzarella cheese and level evenly. Add a pinch of ground nutmeg over the cheese.
12) Finally, lay the sauteed zucchini in a neat line.
13) Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes till the edges of the fillo dough are golden brown and the center is set.
14) Serve the baked fillo tarts while they are still hot, with a fresh garden salad or a creamy yogurt and cucumber salad.
Calories 1318 Calories from Fat 904
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 102 g156.8%
Saturated Fat 44.5 g222.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 319.8 mg106.6%
Sodium 1142.7 mg47.6%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.5%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24.1%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 40 g80.7%
Vitamin A 311.3% Vitamin C 40.5%
Calcium 33.3% Iron 33%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet