Sweet Potato Cake With Fresh Coconut Filling
|For the cake|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Sifted cake flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Raw sweet potato||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), shredded|
|Hot water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|For fresh coconut filling|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Grated coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh Ones)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil.
3. Transfer into an electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
4. Put in egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. In a different bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and spices well.
6. Add the flour mixture, sweet potatoes, hot water, and walnuts into creamed mixture. Stir well.
7. Whisk the egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
8. Transfer batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
9. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Let it cool in pan 10 minutes.
11. Take away layers from pans, and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
12. MAKING THE FILLING: In a heavy saucepan ,mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt; gradually stir in milk.
13. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until mixture thickens and boils.
14. Take away from heat.
15. Slowly, stir in about 1/4th of hot mixture into eggs; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
16. Return the saucepan back to heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, or until thickened.
17. Take away from heat; stir in coconut and vanilla. Let cool to room temperature.
18. Transfer to a container. Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours.
19. Apply fresh Coconut Filling between layers and on top of cake.
20. Decorate with an orange rind bow, if you like.
21. Cover the cake and chill 3 to 4 hours.
15. Make slices and serve.