Sweet Potato Cream Pie In Ginger Snap Crust
Water - 3/4 cup
Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 cups, cooked and mashed
Dark corn syrup - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Cornstarch - 3 tablespoons
Ground cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
Ground ginger - 3/4 teaspoon
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Eggs - 2, well beaten
Vanilla extract - 1/2 teaspoon
Butter or Margarine -3 tablespoons
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Pecans - chopped (optional)
For Gingersnap Crust:
Gingersnap crumbs - 1 1/4 cups
Sugar - 1 tablespoon
Butter or Margarine - 1/4 cup, softened
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) In a large saucepan, combine together the water and milk.
3) Add the corn syrup and sweet potatoes. Mix well.
4) Combine together the cornstarch, sugar, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Blend well.
5) Add the sugar mixture very gradually and carefully to the milk mixture.
6) Cook over low heat, constantly stirring, till a thick concoction is formed.
7) Stir about 1/4th of the hot mixture gradually into the eggs and add to the remaining hot mixture. Keep stirring constantly.
8) Cook the mixture over low heat for about 2 minutes, constantly stirring.
9) Take the mixture off the heat, add the butter and vanilla and stir well till the butter has melted.
10) To prepare the gingersnap crust, in a small bowl, combine all the crust ingredients together. Mix well.
11) Press the mixture firmly into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
12) Bake in the preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool.
13) Cool the filling slightly and then pour it into the cooled crust.
14) Let the preparation cool completely.
15) Transfer to a decorative serving platter, decorate with pecans and whipped cream, if preferred, and serve as a dessert.