Savory Potato Cake
|Celery stalks||4 , chopped|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced|
|Mustard powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Potatoes||2 Pound, mashed|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, grated|
|Single cream||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) In a pan, melt, 2 tablespoons of butter, and saute celery.
3) Put the lid on and simmer for 15 minutes.
4) Stir in mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
5) Blend in 1 tablespoon of flour, and mustard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
6) Take the pan away from heat and allow to cool.
7) Add cheese and cream to the cooled mushroom mixture.
8) In a bowl, mix together potatoes, remaining butter and flour, baking powder, knead well to mix.
9) On a flour-dusted surface, roll the potato mixture into 2 rounds, 2 slightly larger than the other.
10) Place the larger round of potato mixture on an oven proof dish.
11) Smear over the potato round, with the mushroom mixture leaving narrow margin.
12) Place the smaller potato mixture round over the mushroom mixture and push down to seal.
13) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
14) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Cover the foil seal, label and freeze.
15) Serve hot, as a side dish for meat dishes.
16) If using the frozen potato mixture, place on an ovenproof dish.
17) Reheat from frozen in a preheated moderate oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
18) Serve as mentioned in step 8.
Calories 634 Calories from Fat 306
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.6%
Saturated Fat 21.2 g105.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 93.2 mg31.1%
Sodium 425.8 mg17.7%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.9%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 17 g34%
Vitamin A 24.1% Vitamin C 77.8%
Calcium 46.7% Iron 23.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet