Roast Raccoon with Sweet Potato Stuffing
|Dressed raccoon||5 Pound|
|Sweet potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), mashed|
|Seedless raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Soft bread crumbs||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Apples||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), peeled and diced|
|Corn syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
1) Grease a baking rack.
2) Preheat oven at 325°F.
3) Remove the waxy nodules (kernels), from under each front leg of the raccoon and from the sides of the spine in the small of the back.
4) When clean, thoroughly wash meat and dry on paper towels.
5) Leaving only a thin layer of fat, clean the carcass and sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt inside the body.
6) Prepare a stuffing with a mixture of 2 tea spoons salt, sweet potatoes, raisins, bread crumbs, apples, corn syrup and butter.
7) To close up the carcass, use several toothpicks and push them through the skin from side to side.
8) Tightly tie with string and secure the ends.
9) Again using toothpicks and string, tie the forelegs and the hind legs.
10) Stick in a piece of leftover fat onto a toothpick and close up any lean parts on the outside of the body.
11) Sprinkle with remaining salt and the pepper.
12) In a shallow baking pan, put the greased rack and place the raccoon on its side.
13) Place in oven and allow to roast for 45 minutes per pound.
14) When half done, turn over to next side.
15) Serve with mashed potatoes and boiled vegetables.