Lyonaise Potato Cake
|Red potatoes||2 1⁄2 Pound, peeled|
|Rendered chicken fat/Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onions||1 Pound, thinly sliced (3 medium size)|
|Grated swiss cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (imported)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a large saucepan with cold water, place the potatoes.
2) Place over moderate heat to bring a boil for 25 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
3) In a bowl transfer the potatoes and wait until they are cool enough to handle, 10 to 15 minutes.
4) Using a large spoon and fork, mash and crush the potatoes into pieces not larger than 1/2 inch.
5) In a large broiler proof skillet, preferably nonstick, add the chicken fat and heat over moderate heat.
6) Add the onions to cook until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
7) Add the onions, Swiss cheese, salt and pepper to the potatoes; blend well.
8) In the same nonstick skillet, melt the butter.
9) Add the potato mixture and pack it down tightly.
10) About 40 minutes before serving, preheat the broiler.
11) Place the skillet with the potato mixture over moderate heat. Cover and cook until the bottom of the potato cake is browned, about 15 minutes.
12) Place the skillet into the broiler, setting the pan about 6 inches from the heat.
13) Broil until the top is nicely browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
14) Remove the skillet from the oven and let stand for about 5 minutes.
15) In a serving plate, invert the cake and cut into wedges.
Steps 1-9 can be prepared ahead. Set aside at room temperature for up to 3 hours.
Calories 348 Calories from Fat 150
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.6%
Saturated Fat 7.9 g39.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31.4 mg10.5%
Sodium 195.1 mg8.1%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.2%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 9 g18.2%
Vitamin A 5.1% Vitamin C 69.4%
Calcium 17% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet