Parsley Potato Cakes
|Boiling potatoes||3 Pound, peeled|
|Chopped flat leaf parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed through press|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a food processor fitted with the grating disk, grate the potatoes.
2) Place a strainer over a mixing bowl. Squeeze the grated potatoes with your hands to remove any water on the strainer. Reserve the liquid in the bowl.
3) In another mixing bowl, place the potatoes.
4) Add parsley, pepper, salt, garlic, whole eggs and egg yolk into the potatoes and combine well.
5) Pour off the water from the top part of the reserved potato liquid, saving the potato starch that has settled at the bottom of the bowl. Add this starch into the potato mixture and stir well to combine.
6) Preheat the oven to 400°.
7) In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon butter in 2 tablespoons oil. Melt the butter over low heat.
8) Remove the pan from heat, when the butter is melted.
9) Stir the potato mixture to distribute the eggs evenly.
10) In a round 1/4-cup measure, firmly pack the potato mixture by squeezing out any excess liquid.
11) Carefully, invert the measuring cup over the skillet and tap the bottom gently until the potato cake slides out.
12) Repeat this process with the remaining potato mixture, placing the cakes 1 1/2 inches apart in the pan.
13) Place the skillet over the stovetop and cook the cakes over moderately high heat until the bottoms are browned, about 2 minutes.
14) Carefully turn over the potato cakes, adding an additional tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons oil to the pan if needed. Cook the other side until browned, about 2 minutes longer.
15) In a baking sheet, transfer the cakes and place inside oven to bake for 20 minutes in the middle of the oven.
16) Serve the cakes warm or at room temperature with your choice of sauce or ketchup on side.