Sweet Potato Scones
|Whole-wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unbleached flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Corn bran||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sweet potatoes||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Buttermilk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 475°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, unbleached flour, corn bran, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Mix in the sweet potatoes and raisins.
4. Add the buttermilk and oil and mix well to avoid forming lumps.
5. Knead the mixture for about 2 minutes.
6. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
7. Cut out 2 1/2-inch rounds.
8. Re- rolling the dough to use all of it.
9. Transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
10. Bake at 475°F for about 6 to 8 minutes.
11. Serve warm as part of the menu.
Calories 287 Calories from Fat 74
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.9%
Saturated Fat 0.7 g3.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 190.6 mg7.9%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18%
Dietary Fiber 15.7 g62.7%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 7 g13.6%
Vitamin A 80% Vitamin C 1.6%
Calcium 3% Iron 12.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet