I'M Late I'M Late Carrot Cake
|Nonstick vegetable cooking oil spray||1|
|Grated carrots||3 Cup (48 tbs) (9 Whole)|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Pinch|
|Honey||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Canola oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole egg||1 Large|
|Egg whites||2 Large|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried currants/Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat bottom of 8 X 8 X 2-inch square cake pan or 9-inch round layer-cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper. Lightly coat paper and sides of pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Spread grated carrots between sheets of paper towels and squeeze out excess liquid.
3. In small bowl, stir together both flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves.
4. In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat honey, oil, whole egg, egg whites, and lemon juice, until well blended. By hand, stir in flour mixture, carrots, and currants. Scrape batter into prepared pan, and spread evenly with rubber spatula.
5. Bake in 350° oven until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn cake out of pan and cool completely on wire rack. Discard waxed paper.
6. Meanwhile, make frosting, if using, and spread over top of cake. Cut into 9 squares or wedges and serve.