Ragout Of Fall Vegetables
|Lemon||1 , halved|
|Olive oil||7 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Carrot||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Leek||1 , thinly sliced crosswise (White And Tender Green)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), lightly crushed|
|Fresh thyme sprig||1|
|Fresh rosemary sprig||1|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chanterelle mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Shiitake mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, stemmed, caps cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Parsnips||3 Small, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice|
|Tomato||1 Large, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice|
1. Break off the stems of the artichokes. Trim the artichokes by snapping off the tough outer leaves near the base. Using a sharp stainless steel knife, cut off all the leaves. Trim the base of any remaining dark green parts. Rub the base well with the cut lemon to prevent discoloration. Trim the base to an even round shape and scoop out the hairy chokes with a spoon. Rub the surfaces again with the cut lemon and set aside.
2. In a large nonreactive skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the carrot, onion and leek and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the artichoke bottoms, garlic, thyme and rosemary sprigs, bay leaf, wine, 1/3 cup of the olive oil and 3 cups of water. Cook, covered, over low heat, turning the artichokes once, until they are easily pierced, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the chanterelle and shiitake mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring once, until softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the parsnips and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
5. Cut each artichoke bottom in half and then slice crosswise 1/4 inch thick. Return to the pan and add the chanterelles, shiitakes, parsnips and tomato. Warm over moderately high heat until heated through, about 3 minutes. Spoon the ragout onto 6 serving plates and serve hot.