POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLES
|Top round beef pot roast/Bottom-round beef pot roast||3 1⁄2 Pound|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Beef bouillon cube||1|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce|
|Potatoes||2 Pound, pared (Medium Sized)|
|White turnips||6 Small (Pared)|
|Carrots||6 , halved and crosswise (Pared)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Wipe roast well with damp paper towels.
2. In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper well.
3. Sprinkle it over the entire roast and rub it into surface.
4. In a Dutch oven, heat salad oil over a high flame.
5. Add roast. Cook it over a medium flame so that it is well browned on all sides for around 15 to 20 minutes. Turn it with a wooden spoon.
6. When roast is partially browned, add onion, and brown it very well. This is the secret of good flavor and colour.
7. Add bay leaf, bouillon cube and 1 cup water.
8. Reduce flame. Cover and let it simmer for 1 ½ hours.
9. Turn roast.
10. Add tomato sauce and vegetables, pressing it down into liquid.
11. Cover and simmer for a further 1 ½ hours or until roast and vegetables are tender.
12. Lift vegetables and roast very carefully and arrange it decoratively on a heated serving platter.
13. Remove string. Keep it warm.
14. For the gravy: Strain pan liquid through a coarse sieve into a 4 cup measure. Press any remaining vegetables through sieve.
15. Tilt liquid with a tablespoon and skim off all fat.
16. Measure liquid, adding water, if necessary to make 2 ½ cups.
17. Return the liquid to the Dutch oven.
18. In a small bowl, measure 1/4 cup flour.
19. Gradually add 1/2 cup water, stirring it continuously until it is smooth.
20. Slowly stir into liquid in Dutch oven.
21. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper.
22. Bring it to a boil while stirring it continuously. Reduce flame and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
23. To serve Pot Roast With Vegetables, pour some gravy over meat. Pour the rest in gravy boat with the roast and vegetables.