Sherried Sweet Potato Ring
|Light brown sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Walnut halves||10 (Or More)|
|Sweet potatoes/Yams||3 Pound|
|Egg yolks||3 , well beaten|
|Egg whites||3 , well beaten until stiff|
|Soft butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Undiluted evaporated milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sherry||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Taylor New York State Golden Sherry)|
1. Grease a 6-cup ring mold with butter or oil.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F
3. Boil the potatoes whole without peeling, until fork tender.
4. Drain and let cool until easy to handle.
5. Peel the potatoes and add to a bowl.
6. Use a fork or a potato masher to mash the potatoes thoroughly.
7. Add the yolk, butter, seasonings, evaporated milk and sherry to the mash and blend well.
8. Add the stiff egg whites to the potato mixture and fold in lightly.
9. In the greased ring mold, sprinkle brown sugar to coat the bottom.
10. Arrange walnut halves rounded side down, at regular intervals.
11. Carefully spoon potato mixture on top and pack firmly.
12. Bake in a pan of hot water in preheated oven for 35 or 40 minutes or until done.
13. Remove and let cool slightly.
14. Unmold onto a serving platter and serve warm.