|Wholemeal flour||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Ounce (45 Gram)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
|Floury potatoes||2 Pound, boiled (900 Gram)|
|Potato cooking water||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Vegetable oil/Vegetable fat for baking tray-1 oz (25 g) hard respectively||2 Fluid Ounce (50 Milliliter, For Griddle)|
1. Sieve the flour and the baking powder
2. Return the sieved bran to the mix
3. In a large bowl, tip in the sieved flour and add butter to the bowl
4. Rub the butter into the flour until a uniform mix is achieved
5. Mash and sieve the potatoes
6. Add the reserved potato water to the mix
7. Stir potato mash into the flour to form a batter
8. Season to taste
9. Shape the mixture into rounds 3 inches (7 cm) in diameter and 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
10. Heat the oil in a pan and shallow fry the cakes until golden on both sides or bake on a greased tray at 400°F/200°C (Gas Mark 6) for 15 to 20 minutes.
11. Serve hot or cold, as a snack or with a green salad as a light meal.