Sweet Potato And Parsnip Casserole
|Onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|Parsnips||1⁄2 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|Canned vegetable broth/Chicken broth or canned low-sodium chicken broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken broth/canned low-sodium chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Non-fat sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Or Low Fat)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven hot to 400°F.
2) In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil, cook onions and garlic, covered, over moderately low heat for 10 minutes till onions are softened.
3) Uncover the pan and continue cooking for 3 minutes till lightly browned.
4) Stir in potatoes, parsnips, broth, sour cream, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Boil the mixture.
5) Simmer mixture for 15 to 20 minutes till potatoes are tender and liquid evaporated.
6) Adjust seasoning if required.
7) Take a large shallow casserole or gratin dish in which the vegetables fit in just one layer and transfer the mixture into it.
8) Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly on the top of casserole and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
9) Bake the casserole for 20 to 30 minutes till broth has been absorbed and the top is crusty and brown.
10) Serve warm.
Calories 157 Calories from Fat 32
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.5%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5 mg1.7%
Sodium 238.9 mg10%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.7%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 3 g6.7%
Vitamin A 242.8% Vitamin C 16.8%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 6.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet