This marinade sauce will allow you to grill chicken with an authentic Portuguese flavour.
If you like Nando’s style chicken or chicken served barbecued style in Portuguese restaurants then you will love this sauce.
Sweet red pepper
3 Clove (15 gm), peeled
Vegetable oil/Olive oil
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
White wine vinegar
1. Chop garlic, sweet red pepper and chillies into small pieces (discard stems, but keep the seeds from chillies and sweet pepper)
2. Heat vegetable oil or olive oil in a large sauce pan on a low to medium heat, when oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and sweet red pepper, the juice of half a lemon, the white wine vinegar and simmer gently for 10 minutes
DO NOT ADD THE CHILLIES TO THE PAN AT THIS STAGE YET
3. Remove pan from heat, add the chillies, oregano, salt and stir thoroughly
ALLOW TO COOL
4. When sauce has cooled, blend it into a fine puree.
5. Store in an airtight bottle or container and consume within 1 month.
(natural preservatives of garlic, chillies, salt and vinegar aid in the long life of this sauce)
Its time to tickle your taste buds!! Try this Peri Peri sauce - a Portuguese style hot chili sauce. Made from red, hot chilies, this is a fiery and fragrant sauce used widely in Portugal and Africa. This sauce goes wonderfully well with grilled chicken, fish or even fried foods.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1141 Calories from Fat 1003
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 114 g174.8%
Saturated Fat 15.2 g75.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3895.5 mg162.3%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.7%
Dietary Fiber 16.4 g65.8%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 6 g12%
Vitamin A 88.8%
Vitamin C 300.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Peri Peri Sauce Recipe Video, Portuguese Chili Sauce