Vegetable Hot Pot
|Water||1 1⁄2 Pint|
|Tomato puree||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried peas/Beans||4 Ounce, soaked overnight in soft water|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Potatoes||8 Ounce, peeled and cut into 1 -inch cubes|
|Onions||8 Ounce, sliced|
|Carrots||8 Ounce, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick|
|Celery sticks||3 Large, cut in 1/2-inch pieces|
|Cabbage||6 Ounce, shredded|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed with 1 level teaspoon salt|
|Yeast extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Evaporated milk||4 Tablespoon|
1) In a 2-3 pint saucepan, bring a mixture of water, tomato puree, lentils and peas or beans to a boil and then cook for 45 minutes-1 hour until peas or beans are just tender.
2) In a 3-4 pint saucepan, over a low heat, heat oil and sauté together potatoes, onions, carrots and celery in it to release an aroma.
3) Stir in lentils, peas and their liquor and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4) Slowly add in cabbage and cauliflower, allowing the liquid to just simmer to preserve the green color.
5) Cook the mixture again for 10 minutes and mix in garlic, salt and yeast extract.
6) Take off from heat and pour in evaporated milk and seasonings.
7) In a large casserole, serve the hot pot warm along with a bowl of chopped hard-boiled egg and chives, or a bowl of grated cheese, served separately.