Chicken with Eggplant and Ham Stuffing
|Frying chicken||3 Pound|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Chopped lean ham||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried mixed herbs||2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
1) Divide the eggplant into halves, lengthwise, and take out the stem.
2) With a sharp knife, score the surface of the eggplant halves lightly and sprinkle some salt all over. Allow eggplant to stand for about 30 minutes so that the salt can draw out the bitter juices, if any.
3) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
4) In a saucepan, melt the butter and slowly cook the onions to slightly soften them.
5) Rinse the eggplant, pat dry and cut it into ½-inch cubes.
6) Cook cubes with the onions in the pan till they are fairly soft. Add the remaining ingredients for stuffing, gradually beating in the egg, till the mixture starts to just hold together. Add seasoning to taste.
7) From inside the chicken cavity, remove the fat and fill the neck end with some of the stuffing. In a greased casserole, put all the remaining stuffing and to hold the neck flap of the chicken down, tuck the wing tips under the chicken. Tie the legs together and put the chicken in a roasting pan.
8) Spread the chicken with the softened butter which is still remaining. Roast in preheated oven for about 60 minutes or till the chicken juices run clear when the thigh’s thickest part is pierced using a sharp knife.
9) For the last 35 minutes of cooking time, cook the extra stuffing covered. Allow the chicken to stand for 10 minutes and then carve it.
10) Serve hot. If preferred, gravy made with the pan juices can be served on the side.
Calories 660 Calories from Fat 411
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.5%
Saturated Fat 16 g80%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 270.4 mg90.1%
Sodium 499.7 mg20.8%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g3.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.5%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 48 g96.4%
Vitamin A 13.3% Vitamin C 10.7%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 15.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet