Three Layer Carrot Cake With Black Walnut Frosting
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (1 Stick)|
|Sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄4|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried apricots/Cranberries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated carrots||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce, cut into small pieces (At Room Temperature)|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon (3/4 Stick, At Room Temperature)|
|Confectioners sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Black walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F before baking.
2. Take three 8 inch cake pans, grease well and keep aside.
3. Take a large bowl, add butter and using electric mixer, cream the butter. Add eggs and sugar and beat to a light mixture.
4. Take another bowl, sieve in flour, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Add to egg mixture along with raisins, carrot and apricots, alternatively.
5. Divide the batter into three equal portions and transfer to the greased pans. Bake each for half an hour or till a knife inserted comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Turn upside onto cake racks and allow to cool thoroughly.
7. Take a large bowl, add cream cheese, whip till it turns light. Add butter and beat well. Slowly add sugar, 1 cup each, and continue to beat till mixture becomes smooth. Add walnuts and vanilla and mix well.
8. Take a serving plate, keep 1 layer cake on it, add frosting to top and sides, top with second layer, then cover with frosting followed by the third layer and another set of frosting.
9. Refrigerate to allow the frosting to set.
10. Serve cold.
1. While preparing frosting, add sugar only till mixture reaches spreadable consistency.