|Cooked spinach||1 Cup (16 tbs) (10 Ounce, 1 Package Frozen Spinach / 1 1/2 Pounds Fresh Spinach)|
|Chopped onion||1 Tablespoon|
|Half and half||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Light Cream)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (325° F.).
2. Drain the cooked spinach very thoroughly. Chop it very fine or put through a puree strainer. Reserve.
3. Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onion until golden. Blend in the flour and slowly add the half-and-half, stirring. Cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened.
4. Reduce the heat to low. Beat the egg yolks and stir a little of the half-and-half mixture into them. Return to the hot mixture and cook one minute, stirring constantly. Add the spinach and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
5. Remove the mixture from the heat. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture. Turn into a greased seven-inch ring mold and set the mold in a pan of hot water. Bake until set, or about thirty minutes.
6. Invert on a heated platter, fill with creamed mushrooms and eggs and serve immediately.