Chestnut Celery Stuffing
|Fresh chestnuts||3⁄4 Pound|
|White bread cubes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Canned chopped mushrooms||4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Wash chestnuts; cut slits in each shell; place in a shallow baking pan. Bake in very hot oven (475°) for 15 minutes. Remove chestnuts; lower the oven temperature to very slow (250°). When cool enough, shell and skin nuts.
2. Cook, covered, in boiling salted water to cover, in a medium-size saucepan, about 15 minutes, or until tender; drain and chop fine. (You should have about 1 1/2 cups.)
3. While the chestnuts are cooking, spread the bread cubes on a large cooky sheet; place in a very slow oven (250°) for 10 minutes; remove from oven; reserve.
4. Saute celery and onion in butter or margarine just until soft in a medium-size skillet. Combine with chestnuts in a medium-size bowl.
5. Add mushrooms and their liquid, salt, pepper, bread cubes and the poultry seasoning; toss lightly until evenly moist.