A delicious cool weather dish with sweet potatoes, veggies and a nut topping.
Cooked sweet potatoes
6 Cup (96 tbs)
1 Medium, dice
Green bell pepper
1 Medium, dice
1 Large, chop (cut roughly into 2/3” chunks)
Diced green chilies
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chop
Whole grain breadcrumbs
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop
1. Scrub the sweet potatoes with a kitchen brush and pat dry, set aside.
2. Dice the onions, green chilies and pepper and roughly chop the winter pear, set aside.
3. Chop the cilantro and set aside.
4. Chop the hazelnuts in the food processor on pulse setting, set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350 -400 (F).
6. Bake the sweet potatoes in the preheated oven for an hour or until fork tender.
7. Once done peel the skins and dice them.
8. Spread sweet potatoes across the oven rack or a 6" x 9” baking dish, lightly coated with olive oil.
9. Cook for about an hour or until soft.
10. In another pan pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sauté onions and green bell pepper until the onion begin to brown.
11. Add pears and chilies and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
12. In a large pan sauté onions and green peppers until brown.
13. Add pears and chilies and sauté another 3-4 minutes. Spread evenly over the sweet potatoes.
14. In a bowl combine hazelnuts, bread crumbs, pumpkin seeds and chili powder, use a fork to blend everything well.
15. Add the olive oil and sprinkle this over the sweet potatoes mixture.
16. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes covered.
17. After 40 minutes remove the foil and bake for additional 10-25 minutes to brown the top.
18. Remove and let it rest, before serving garnish it with cilantro.
19. Serve a nice slice of the sweet potatoes along with the roast.
You can also cook the sweet potatoes in a slow cooker and either cook on high for 3-4 hour or on low for 7-9 hours.